Recipe shared with permission from Michelle Iannacchino, Graduate Student at Pace University. You can reach out to her at MichelleIannacchino@gmail.com and follow her on Instagram @Michelle.Iannacchino.
As chillier weather really starts setting in and snow starts falling, it’s officially time to shop winter vegetables! While summer vegetables are something we all look forward to, we should be just as excited to shop brussels sprouts, squash, pumpkin, carrots, and much more. Winter vegetables offer a savory and comforting feel while also providing bright colors to any dish! This winter vegetable salad is a quick and easy meal to prepare for lunch, dinner, or as a side dish for a larger party! It’s full of leafy greens, roasted vegetables, healthy fats, and fiber.
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 cup brussels sprouts
- 1 cup butternut squash (can buy already cubed)
- 1 tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a sheet pan with parchment paper on top.
- Cut brussels sprouts in half or keep whole (if they are smaller sized).
- Combine brussels sprouts and butternut squash into a bowl and drizzle with 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and pinch of salt. Toss.
- Once tossed, lay the vegetables on top of the parchment paper and bake in the oven for 35-40 min. Take out half way to turn & toss the vegetables. Broil for the last 4-5 min if you like it crunchier & brown on top.
- In a separate medium sized bowl, toss in the spinach and the ½ avocado.
- Once the vegetables are done in the oven, top the salad with them. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top.
- For the dressing, combine 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and a pinch of salt. Shake well and pour over the salad. Enjoy!
Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Paleo, Vegetarian, Vegan