Full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients, this salad is as nutrient-dense as it is delicious. The brightness of the vinaigrette sings through the crunch of the cruciferous vegetables, while the pomegranate arils and berries add a touch of sweetness that will bring you back for seconds.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 2 entrees or 4 sides
For the Salad
- 1 bunch red, purple, or green kale, washed and destemmed
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and halved OR ½ cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 head broccoli, cut into very small florets
- 1/2 cauliflower, riced (can use whole head if desired)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas), toasted
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
For the Dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Slice or tear the kale and toss into a large bowl. With clean hands, gently massage the kale to break down the tough leaves and release their water. After a few minutes the leaves will soften and turn a darker shade of green. Once all of the leaves are wilted, set aside.
- Toast the pumpkin seeds in a 350° oven for about 5 minutes or until fragrant. Remove and let cool.
- Toss all remaining salad ingredients together in the bowl with the kale.
- In a separate bowl, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk thoroughly. Alternately, you may place all ingredients in a small mason jar and shake vigorously.
- Once all salad and dressing ingredients are prepared, pour desired amount of dressing onto the salad. Toss the salad and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before eating.
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan